After receiving resounding feedback about the 2nd Victorian Backcountry festival, we have decided to lock in dates and locations for 2020.
It will be a three day festival, held from Friday to Sunday, September 4 – 6. If you can take a three day weekend, aim to come up Thursday night. There will be a full day of tours and speakers sessions happening during the day on Friday. It is likely we will hold a fit night on the Sunday evening for those who can stay around.
Due to the huge level of support from the Hotham community and businesses and attendees, we will keep the festival at Hotham.
We will keep the basic format –
- lots of tours and workshops across all human powered winter sports including splitboarding, alpine touring, telemark, cross country, and snow shoeing. These will include both inside and outside sessions,
- speaker’s program (probably over two days rather than one),
- the outdoor bar, hopefully in the same ski/ walk-in location, on the Saturday early evening
- two day AST Level 1 avalanche training, before and after the festival,
- and a demo village outside The General on the Saturday.
We will be based out of The General again for briefings and the speakers program. Spreading the festival over three days will allow us to fit more in and reduce double up of sessions.
There will be another multi day trip after the festival for intermediate to advanced skiers and riders who want to ski bigger terrain with a group. This one is likely to be to Mt Bogong (September 7 – 10). You will need to attend a briefing session for this trip (probably on the Sunday night) and have all the gear and skills to do this trip safely. Further details will be provided closer to the event.
There is still time to provide feedback. Check the online form here. We’re getting some really great feedback on how to make it a better event, so please take a few minutes to let us know your thoughts.
If you want to get involved in the festival in any way, please get in touch: Cam.firstname.lastname@example.org
NB: like other snow addicts, we are keenly waiting to hear the announcement about whether there will be a ski season this winter. We are continuing with planning for the festival on the assumption can proceed and will assess the situation once an announcement is made.
See you out there.